2013 LATE MODEL RULES AND REGULATIONS
1) COMPETING BODIES
- The general rules for the Sycamore Speedway apply to the Late
Model Class also.
- Open to any American 8-cylinder car with a stock wheelbase no
less than 107 inches. No convertibles or compacts.
- Remove all glass and remove rear seat before coming to
- Screens are mandatory for windshield and must be mounted from
A-Pillar to A-Pillar.
B. All doors must be securely fastened, either
welded or chained.
C. Fill disk in steering wheel is highly
- No modifications or change in engineering of car
- Wheelbase-107 inches minimum.
4) FRAMES AND ROLLCAGE
- All bracing and reinforcing must be inside car. NO solid
material used for bracing. All bracing above original
- All reinforcement must be below trunk lid or hood and covered
with stock bumper.
- Roll bars must be installed. NO welding on threads or
threaded joints allowed. All cars must have driver's door
protection. No galvanized pipe.
- Spring and shock hangers must be in O.E.M. stock
position and WILL BE MEASURED. NO ADJUSTABLES.
- All cars must have stock appearing steel floor pan installed in
original position. Camaros may connect sub-frames.
- You may reinforce the right front wheel and A-frame. NO
repositioning allowed of A-frame. Right front wheel camber 12
degrees maximum. Fords may lengthen bottom of right front
only A-frame. (1 1/2 inch maximum) General Motors may shorten
top of right front A-frame 1 1/2 inch maximum by shimming
only. MoPar may tighten torsion bar moderately. The
above will be measured from stock ORIGINAL POSITION.
- Spindles; STOCK TYPE ONLY, NO heavy duty.
- All springs must be uniform and sit level with the
ground. Cars must sit level (reasonable). Five
inch minimum frame clearance from center of front cross member to
ground. No sway bars on rear. Stock appearing
suspension only. Stock diameter on front sway bar; NO
adjustable bolt; stock only.
- REAR SPRING - 4 maximum. 58 inches maximum
length. BOTH SIDES-SAME SPRINGS. STOCK TYPE
ONLY. No use of extra long leaf spring. Must be of
stock length. Mounted in stock position.
Rear axle-only one set up; either leaf or coil spring.
- Any steel bodied shock mountable in standard (stock) mount
allowed, but NO helper spring type. NO alteration of shocks
or mounts allowed. No air shocks. Shocks must be same
diameter all 4 corners. NO added shock mounts. NO
adjustables. NO additives allowed in shocks. Shocks
must be of 50/50 valuing. NO tampering with shocks. NO
shock mounts welded to roll bar or bracing without special
6) WHEELS AND TIRES
- Tires must be purchased from Sycamore Speedway only.
- Wheels 15" steel only. Max. rim width 8". Racing
wheel optional, no bead locks. One-inch pipe permitted over
valve stem. Max. offset 3" - no spacers unless approved by
tech. Painted light colors, i.e. no black or navy blue
- BRAKES - Single stock brake master cylinder in stock location
only. Disc brakes optional. NO brake balance
systems. This means NO ADJUSTABLE brake systems.
- Racing studs and nuts recommended.
- Carburetion is limited to 1 two-barrel Rochester
carburetor. Maximum Venture opening is 1.250".
- CARBURETORS: must be stock mounted. NO drilling of
carburetor or manifold. No altering to mount.
- No 4-barrel intake manifolds.
- Ford and MoPar may use a carburetor adapter.
8) ENGINE - NO V-6's
- All engines must be stock appearing and in stock
position. Rigid mounts are allowed. Engine in stock
location only. NO aluminum heads. NO angle spark plug
heads. Right front spark plug must be straight in line with
right front upper ball joint; no tolerance. NO aluminum
engines. Stock steel firewall is required but may be modified
for engine clearance.
- Stock cast iron block with visible casting numbers.
- Cylinder heads - any cast iron 23 degree straight plug
- Stock cast iron 2 barrel intake manifold mandatory.
- Oil cooler permissible and oil pans with increased capacities
permissible. All radiators must fit under the hood. NO
hood modifications. Any illegal cars will be prohibited from
- ENGINES & TRANSMISSIONS: May be interchanged with other
makes such as a Chevy motor and trans in a Ford, etc. Engine
must be mounted in original mounts or if altered, front spark plug
must be in line with right front ball joint. Engine must be
stock appearing. STOCK STEEL STICK SHIFT FLYWHEEL ONLY.
NO ALUMINUM OR ANY OTHER TYPE.
- No racing transmissions, automatic or manual OEM 3 or 4 speed
- Relocation of shifting mechanism is permissible. Any
stock OEM transmission allowed. No five-speed transmission
allowed. No in and out boxes. Stock type clutches
- If running automatic transmission must have liquid filled
- Must have inspection cover for clutch and/or torque
10) EXHAUST SYSTEM
- Headers permissible. Exhaust pipes must extend to the
rear or left side only. Diameter of rear exhaust pipes can be
no larger than exhaust pipe from manifold. No more than two
exhaust pipes allowed on any car. NO 180-degree headers
allowed. Maximum diameter of exhaust pipes/collector is 2 1/2
inches. Muffler will be required if exceed 100 dcb at 100
11) REAR ENDS
A. Stock type rear end or Ford 9" permitted.
B. Must be stock style O.E.M. brackets.
Must run O.E.M brake calipers. All brackets must be in O.E.M.
mounting position. Stock control arms with factory rubber
bushings (no monoballs), may be reinforced.
C. All rear ends must be locked.
D. No floaters.
12) FUEL CELLS
A. Fuel cells MANDATORY. Rollover valve
recommended on vent tube. If purchase new fuel cell make sure
it has rollover valve.
B. Must be installed in trunk and equipped with a
steel firewall between driver and tank.
C. Fuel lines running inside car must have
D. Fuel pumps mechanical only. No
electrical fuel pumps
E. GASOLINE ONLY. Racing gasoline
F. Twenty five (25) gallons maximum.
13) THINGS NOT TO USE
A. No high performance products of any
type. No nerf bars, no traction control, lengthened spindles,
heavy shocks, aluminum head and manifold, stud griddle, MSD boxes
& MSD ignition module, etc.
- Body must be in original position on frame and cannot be
altered and must sit level with frame. STEEL O.E.M.
- Front bracing must be behind factory nosepiece mandatory. Cable
or chain exposed at front & rear of car for towing
- NO COCKPITS
C. Any cutting of the hood for vents or radiators
must be covered with sheet metal and painted same color as car.
A. Air scoops permissible (2" maximum
height). Stock steel hood with no openings.
A. Standard steering only. No steering
assist or quickeners. Power steering recommended.
17) METRIC CARS. There is no longer a separate section,
all rules apply to all Late Model cars.
A. Minimum weight 3300lbs with driver after a
B. Weights up to 50 lbs must be securely
fastened by 2 ½ inch, minimum grade 5 bolts with a minimum of 2
weight clamps. Threaded rods will not be permitted. All
weights must be painted white and clearly labeled with the car
number on it.
D. Any weight(s) must be securely attached to
the frame below the body decking.
E. Any car that loses any weight/ballast
during an event may be subject to a penalty. If you lose your
weight and its not marked with your number, you do not get it
F. Weights attached to the rear bumper
and/or outside the frame will not be permitted.
G. Pellet-type and/or liquid-type
weight/ballast will not be permitted.
H. Driver operated weight adjustment, 'weight
jacking' devices will not be permitted.
LATE MODEL POINT PAY-OFF ONLY
POINTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
DRIVER & OWNER POINTS
TIME TRIALS 1 point for fast time (must run
dash to get this point)
TROPHY DASH 1 point for who qualifies &
starts the trophy dash
HEATS, SEMI FEATURES
1st = 3
FAST HEAT 1st = 4 points
2nd = 2
2nd = 3 points
3rd = 1
3rd = 2 points
FEATURE 1st = 14
4th = 1 point
2nd = 12 points
3rd = 11 points
4th = 10 points
5th = 9 points
6th = 8 points
7th = 7 points
8th = 6 points
9th = 5 points
10th = 4 points
11th = 3 points
12th = 2 points
13th & below = 1 point
$1500 POINT FUND
ELIGIBILITY: All cars participating on 90% of 2013 events
at Sycamore Speedway.
If a Late Model Driver is champion for two consecutive years, he
must move up to Super Late Model Class. If a driver competes
at another race track on a night when Sycamore
Speedway is racing they forfeit all final payouts.